Google Summer of Tor 2010 - JTor Hidden Services

Monday, June 21, 2010, 10:40 PM ( 11 views )  - Posted by Administrator
I am not posting a pie chart for this progress report, because it would look like pac-man with the big slice reading something like 'silly bug hunt.' I spent way too much time trying to fix the encoded output of the onion address. It turns out that the problem was that I was using the base32 encoding described in rfc4648 instead of rfc3548. It was a very big noob moment for me. Luckily it was a learning experience as I spent a lot of time making sure the PK was encoded correctly and that the hash was being performed correctly. But the reason it was a silly bug was because I hardly considered having the wrong rfc as the source of my problem. Either way I wasted some time that I really didn't want to. The good news is the onion address is now being created correctly (hooray?). I am going try not to dwell on it and focus on what I have done and what I am going to do in the next two weeks.

I believe the output created by the JTor V2 Service Descriptor is accurate. My next step is to write the part of the client that fetches and parses the V2 service descriptor. That way I can run my test Hidden Service through Tor, fetch the descriptor through JTor and test it against the descriptor that I created. I say this so that I can work on parsing/fetching service descriptors, in addition the content of the service descriptor changes over time because of how the descriptor id is calculated. I can't compare the values without getting a recent service descriptor from directory services.

As for the documentation, I have been focusing on rendclient and rendservice, the endpoints of hidden services and not so much on rendmid yet. I have found that the spec is lacking a lot in the parts for client authentication mechanisms. That is pretty obvious when you check out rend-spec and section 2's text just reads 'foo.' I have been making notes about the changes from the proposals and added a new-rend-spec.txt to my git repo. I just need to dig into the tor code to be sure about what was actually implemented from the proposals.

I am planning on working my ass off these next few weeks, because I feel kind of behind from losing a bunch of time this past week due to that silly bug. Also, after talking to my mentor I am trying to make the steps to be more vocal about my road blocks instead of being stubborn for fear of sounding noobish. I had told him about my problem initially, but there was some miscommunication where he thought I had solved the problem. Bottom line is that the more we discuss the better off I am.

Over and out.

<Back | 1 | 2 | Next> Last>>